Creating high-quality content takes time. So, if you want to make the most of your material, there’s a concept you should be aware of content repurposing.
Repurposing your content across several platforms is an effective way to expand your presence in a meaningful way. But, did you know that content repurposing can also help you with your SEO?
In today’s post, we’ll dive into:
- What is content repurposing?
- What are the benefits of repurposing content for social media?
- How repurposing content impacts SEO?
- How to repurpose your content to improve SEO (with Contentdrips)
Let’s get started!
What is Content Repurposing?
Content repurposing is the process of creating new content from existing long-form material to reach new audiences and increase brand visibility.
These content pieces can take many forms, such as:
- Short videos
- Image carousels
- Blog posts
- Twitter threads
In short, repurposing content involves:
- Inventorying and choosing existing content, such as interesting blog posts or videos
- Adapting this content for different social media platform formats
Aside from the practice of converting long-form content into short-term pieces, the term “repurposing” is also used to refer to updating and refreshing old content.
According to research from Curata:
- 81% of marketers repurpose content to increase website traffic
- 53% do so with the goal of increasing brand awareness.
And they’re right: Regardless of your company’s niche, content repurposing is a great strategy to expand your digital presence and make the most out of your content.
The same source suggests that:
- Content repurposing can increase customers’ loyalty by up to 40%
- Reusing content in different formats can save businesses up to 60% of their content creation time
Additionally, research by the Content Marketing Institute concluded that repurposed content can increase engagement by up to 76% and generate up to 50% more leads.
Overall, there are 3 key reasons why repurposing content makes sense:
- It’s efficient. Repurposing content can help you save time and energy, as it eliminates the need for creating new content from scratch for every social channel.
- It maximizes your outreach. Repurposing content for several platforms allows you to be discovered by new audiences and build loyalty, as each platform has its own unique user base.
- It can have a positive impact on SEO. Repurposing content can give a new life to your old content, build backlinks, and increase social signals.
In the next section, we’ll dive into why repurposing content matters for SEO. Plus, we’ll dive into how to get it done.
There are several reasons why repurposing your long-form content can help you rank on Google.
It’s known that social signals affect SEO positioning. In short, when you share a new piece of content on social media, Google considers users’ interactions (likes, shares, and comments) as signs that your material is valuable.
And, as you may already know Google thrives on delivering content that’s relevant and valuable.
Aside from social signals, there are four reasons why repurposing your content for social media can help you rank higher on Google SERPs.
Namely, repurposing content:
- Reinforces brand awareness and communicates niche expertise
- Helps you keep your content updated and bring new life to old pieces
- Helps you reoptimize your material
- Builds quality backlinks
Let’s take a closer look.
In the past, brands could achieve high recognition through a single channel. Over time, reinforcing brand awareness across several social networks became more and more important to generate organic traffic.
There’s no doubt that SEO and brand awareness go hand in hand. And content repurposing helps you achieve both.
By repurposing content in the right way, you can:
- Expand your distribution channels
- Utilize social engagement to drive more traffic to your website
- Establish your brand as a source of reliable information
Aside from social signals, will being recognized as a niche authority on social help you rank higher?
It won’t have a direct effect. But it can increase your website’s organic CTR (click-through rate). Why? Because if someone who has already heard about you on social media finds your website on Google SERPs, they’ll be more likely to choose your content over your competitors. That’s the reward for building trust and brand awareness.
When it comes to SEO, search engines’ ranking factors can fluctuate from week to week. But one thing is for sure: Google will always prioritize useful & fresh content.
Content repurposing allows you to:
- Adapt high-quality content pieces into trendy formats and keep them relevant across audience types. For instance, short videos or infographics.
- Revisit old content strategically, and give it a face-lift so it remains competitive.
Audiences’ interests change over time. In most cases, a 3-year-old blog post won’t be competitive by today’s standards.
As we mentioned earlier in this article, content repurposing isn’t just about turning a blog post into a video or Twitter thread. It’s also about making the most out of your old content by re-optimizing and reintroducing it.
An intentional content repurposing strategy involves reworking your old content into several trendy formats, considering new opportunities, and re-optimizing for new keywords. In Google’s eyes, this type of activity is a sign that a website is authoritative, committed, and worth ranking.
Repurposing your content can generate valuable backlinks, depending on your format of choice. In case you’re unfamiliar: backlinks are links from other websites that point to your platform.
Backlinks are super important for SEO because:
- Google recognizes backlink-rich websites as authoritative ones
- Websites that get many authoritative backlinks get a higher SERP positioning than their lesser-known competitors
But, what’s the relationship between repurposing content and backlinks?
Basically, you can get backlinks by repurposing if:
- You publish guest posts covering topics from your previous content
- Syndicate your content across platforms (such as Medium)
- Produce highly-linkable blog posts based on your brand’s marketing materials (such as eBooks or whitepapers)
- Use your blog posts as source material to pitch expert testimonials to journalists
Now you know what content repurposing is and how it can positively impact your SEO.
So, let’s cover how to repurpose your evergreen content with Contentdrips.
It’s simple and easy.
Log into Contentdrips, and click on Create. Before you start repurposing, we recommend updating your profile and adjusting your preferences so your creations align with your brand book.
After that, pick a template or create one. With Contentdrips, you can create:
- Animated videos
- And more
Let’s choose an IG & LinkedIn carousel.
Click on the template of your choice to open Contentdrips editor.
From the left editor’s sidebar, you can choose typefaces and access your brand assets (logo, fonts, and color palette) easily.
- Random Fonts to change your font style or upload one.
- Gradients to customize your brand style by choosing your preferred color schemes.
- Elements to enrich your content by incorporating graphics, such as badges, shapes, gradients, and social logos. To apply each design element: drag & drop them in the template and adjust their size according to your design preferences.
- Uploads to upload images or your company logo.
Moreover, by selecting the text of the slides and clicking the Animate button on the editor’s sidebar, you can repurpose your content into animated videos & GIFs.
After customizing your template with your visual identity, it’s time to add your content.
Click on Repurpose, on the editor’s left sidebar.
From there, you can:
- Add your content or import a Twitter thread
- Write the content yourself, with the Text to Carousel option
Once your content’s ready, click Tidy Up to automatically adjust its size on each slide.
When working with poster and quote templates, your editor will include the Add Tweet option. Click Get Tweet to paste the whole tweet or Random Quote to select a random excerpt.
To download your repurposed content and share it across marketing channels, go to Download > Download PDF or Download > Download PNGS, on the sidebar.
Content repurposing is essential to increasing brand visibility and reaching new audiences. Additionally, it can have a positive impact on SEO, as it helps you increase your brand awareness, make the most out of your old content, and keep audiences engaged.
Contentdrips makes repurposing easy. Give it a try today, for free.